Our recent announcement concerning the creation of a joint lab with Turbolinux has generated some controversy. Even PJ, from Groklaw, a site we like very much at Mandriva, showed some concerns and signaled her intention to stop using our Distro.
So I would like to clarify some points:
- Signing he Manbo Labs agreement does not change anything to our policy or our commitment to Free and Open Source software and our position with respect to software patent, nor does it change anything to the statement we made about Microsoft partnerships.
- Our position about software patents is that software should not be patented and we have supported in Europe the fight against software patents.
- Our support for principles of open source remains what we have always stated
- everything we develop and distribute is under GPL
- we develop, maintain and distribute for free a pure GPL distro (Mandriva Free)
- we develop, maintain and distribute for free a live and light distro (Mandriva One)
- We are aware and acknowledge the Turbolinux position with respect to Microsoft, and we know that it is very different from ours. The agreement is written so that Mandriva can fully maintain its commitment to Free Open Source.
- As for Manbo Labs:
- The scope of work is about 100 low level RPMs, all in GPL
- Product will be available for public release under GPL
- Development is public, made on our Cooker environment and associates the community
So we believe that, by setting up Manbo Labs, we are contributing to the development and use of Linux and Free and Open Source software.